laNeva Artisan Tile is concerned about our environment and is dedicated to helping minimize our business and personal impact on the earth.
We are committed to continuous review and improvement of our processes. As of January 2011, the specific steps we take in order to reduce our environmental impact are:
- Our handmade tile is made in the USA rather than abroad
- Use of 100% lead-free glazes for our ceramic line
- All glazes are painted on instead of sprayed (no overspray)
- We fire at low temperatures by ceramic standards (cone 06, 1828 degrees Fahrenheit)
- Broken tile and seconds are reused by local artists
- All tile orders ship via UPS using their carbon offset credits
- The laNeva Tile website & blog are hosted by Green Geeks who purchase 300% of their energy consumption from wind power
- Clay boxes and other packing materials are reused to ship tile orders out
- Several of our office employees telecommute, eliminating commute emissions and the need for a large commercial office/studio.
Inherant qualities of ceramic tile:
- Tile releases no air-polluting VOC’s (Volatile Organic Compounds)
- Ceramic tile is durable and when installed properly can last 50-100 years
- The main ingredient is natural clay
Ceramic tile production is a very labor intensive, multi-step process when done by hand. laNeva is proud to produce a product that, while using many human resources, uses a minimal amount of electricity. We fire twice per week and can often fire several orders at a time.
laNeva tile requires no specialty products for maintenance or ultimately, disposal. Our tile can be maintained using a gentle, non-abrasive cleanser and we advocate the use of natural baking soda and water to maintain both tile and grout.
laNeva Artisan Tile continues to support local small businesses and artists within our communities.